Sunday, January 8, 2012

What a difference a day makes

Yesterday was amazing! After our usual weekend routine of Kade joining us in bed to watch Mickey Mouse, Kevin convinced Kade to let me go back to sleep. At 10:30 I awoke to "Mommy, mommy, mommy! Goalie helmet!" being yelled in an incredibly loud (but of course adorable) two-year old voice. It seems I hadn't quite shut the door entirely and there stood Kade in his goalie helmet. I basically jumped out of bed (which is what happens when a small child in a goalie mask wakes you out of a deep sleep) and felt great--amazing was actually the word I kept coming back to throughout the day. It was like my body had been upgraded during my two hour nap.

I managed to spend a good period of time outside playing hockey, golf and baseball with Kade--obviously his choices, not mine (those of you who've know me for years are probably laughing hysterically at the image of me engaged in such a flurry of sports). While he napped, I made caramels with my good friend Kristen. After nap, we went to the Miami Women's basketball game and then out to dinner. Kade went to bed and I stayed up cutting and wrapping the incredibly delicious caramels. Even while on full doses of Cymbalta, that day would have been pushing it. However, I still felt great when I went to bed!

I have to admit that I did have much more exciting plans for my Saturday evening--a trip to Monroe to see 32 Below. After the horrific day on Friday, I wisely cancelled these plans. Although it was disappointing to miss seeing my favorite band from back in MN/ND, I'm impressed with my ability to recognize that I wasn't up to it. This is truly a new thing for me as I spent so much time trying to prove that fibromyalgia didn't have the power to change what I was going to do with my life.

Today wasn't quite as spectacular. I needed to sit down and take a break a bit more often than usual. There were a few dizzy spells and times when I felt the fog closing in on me. Not nearly the perfect 10 of yesterday, but still a solid 6--maybe even 6.5. These days I'll definitely consider that a win.

1 comment:

  1. Happy to hear of a better day. May those days out number the bad. It seems strange to be reading about my 'happy go lucky' niece submerged in the day to day struggles and worries of fibromyalgia. That just isn't a good fit for you. I prefer to think you (& I smile at the thought of you) playing sports. One never knows what life will throw your way. I would practice my "ducking" skills if I were you. Golf balls & hockey pucks? Yikes!!

    ReplyDelete